My home is under contract - Now what do I do?
My Home is Under Contract – Now What I Do?
- The buyer has a limited amount of time to have the home inspection completed and provide us with a list of requested repairs. The amount of time is specified in the contract. We will communicate the time and date for the inspection to you. Please allow about 4 hours to be away from the home for this inspection. Have the home orderly so the inspector can do his job and if you have pets please plan to have them away from the property during this time or confined in a safe crate. Remember to have all doors and access points to basements, crawl spaces and attics unlocked and unobstructed.
- The buyer will also have the wood destroying insect inspection completed within that same time frame and present any requested repairs. This inspection is usually about a half an hour and may coincide with the home inspection. Please plan to be away from the property during this inspection. If you have pets please plan to have them away from the property during this time.
- You, the seller, will have a limited amount of time to respond to the buyer’s request from the inspections. We will assist you in negotiating these requested repairs. Keep in mind many of the repairs may be mandated by the buyer’s lender. We will work with you and a handy man or service repairman to get quotes for these repairs.
- If the buyer is securing a mortgage loan to purchase your home, the lender will require an appraisal of the property. The appraiser will need access to the home for about an hour. We will also schedule that with you. Please plan to be away from the home and please remove any animals during the appraisal.
- After the inspections/appraisal are completed and negotiated and you wish to start packing, please remember to leave the items that the buyer requested in the contract. Please do not take the curtains, curtain rods, ceiling fans or anything that is attached to the home. If you have any questions, please contact us.
- When the repairs are made, please keep the PAID receipts as we will need to show these to the buyers during their walk-through. You can email them to us if you wish to do so. Grumbles@MikeGrumbles.com is the best email for this purpose.
- Schedule the utilities to be transferred or disconnected on the day after closing.
- RELAX! We got this, it is part of every transaction. We deal with the issues daily.